The Library now offers a staff-run service converting 8mm and Super 8 home movies for New Lenox Library card holders. Due to high demand, you must have an adult New Lenox Library card (18 or older) in order to utilize this service.
As of March 20, 2019:
- $20.00 worth of movie reels can be submitted at a time
- $5.00 per small reel (3" across); $10.00 per large reel (over 3", usually 4.5–7")
- Conversion is done by library staff
- 4–6 week turnaround, subject to change based on demand
You can request the following options:
- DVD, computer video file, or both
- Each reel on its own disc, or each requested set together on one disc
Once your first set of film digitizations are complete, you can request another set.
We reserve the right to refuse reels for any reason (this is most commonly due to condition).
If your film smells like vinegar, it is deteriorating, and we will not accept it for digitization. We suggest talking to a professional digitization specialist.
Our service is as-is digitization, so you can see what is on the films you have. We do not recolor or edit movies. If you require those services, we suggest you send your film to a professional digitization specialist.
Older film is brittle and may break during the digitization process. Staff will splice it back together.
If you would like to edit the movies or add audio yourself, we can help you do that in a separate one-on-one session with a staff member.
Please contact Ashley Middleton, our Digital Services Manager, at email@example.com or 815-485-2605 ext. 127 to set up a quick drop-off appointment to check the condition of your film.