This page was last updated on Tuesday, January 24.
Free Tax Help
AARP provides free tax preparation in-person, low-contact, or contact-free depending on availability. Some sites can provide service in one or two visits, or you may not need to visit a site at all, with all interactions taking place online. Find an AARP location nearby using the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Locator on their website.
IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify. Find free tax help at irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep.
Ladder Up will be providing free tax services to individuals earning up to $32,000 and families earning up to $60,000. Appointments will be taken starting January 28. Other stipulations apply. More information about their program can be found at goladderup.org/our-services/tax-assistance. Locations can be found at goladderup.org/locations.
Paper Tax Forms
Federal 1040 paper tax forms were received on January 13. Schedules will need to be printed separately. Instructions are available as of January 24.
Illinois paper tax forms were received on January 21 in a limited amount. A reference copy of Instructions is available at the Adult & Teen Service Desk.
Federal paper forms and instructions are available upstairs in Adult & Teen Services by Tech Center computers. Forms are also downstairs in Patron Services.
- Federal 1040 & 1040-SR paper forms are available (schedules were not included this year).
- Illinois 1040 forms are available.
- We have instruction books for Federal 1040. We usually have enough for people who need them.
- We have a reference copy of the Illinois 1040 instruction book. This copy needs to remain in the library.
We can print out copies of other tax forms.
- First 6 pages free
- Additional pages 10¢ per page
If you are capable of doing your taxes online yourself and just need a computer, check in at the Adult & Teen Services desk upstairs. If you let us know you are doing your taxes, we can extend your time on the computer.
We cannot assist you in any way with navigating tax websites or answering tax questions.
Do I File?
To determine if you are required to file a federal return, use Do I Need to File a Tax Return? at IRS.gov
How Do I File?The following options are available to you to file your federal taxes depending on income: IRS Free File Online Options at IRS.gov
Income $73,000 & Below
- Free federal tax filing on an IRS partner site
- State tax filing (free with some offers)
- Guided preparation – simply answer questions
- Online service does all the math
Income Above $73,000
- Free electronic forms you fill out and file yourself
- No state tax filing
- You should know how to prepare paper forms
- Basic calculations with limited guidance
Illinois income taxes can be filed for free at MyTax Illinois.