An interlibrary loan is an item borrowed from outside our library system, PrairieCat.
Only New Lenox Public Library patrons in good standing can request an ILL from New Lenox Library. If you are from a different library, please contact your home library.
Interlibrary Loan Quick Facts
- Limits: A patron can request a maximum of 15 interlibrary loan items at a given time.
- Ordering Fees: There are no fees for items we request from an Illinois library. There is a $5.00 fee for requests for items that can be only found outside of the state, which covers extra postage and handling. This fee needs to be paid before we can order the item, so we will contact you ahead of time.
- Waiting Period: Waiting periods vary. In some systems, we can place a hold on an item. In other systems, we will send requests to multiple libraries. The libraries have a few days to respond.
- Checkout Period: The checkout period is at the discretion of the lending library. The item will be checked out to our library before it will be sent to us. That means that unlike system holds, the due date is already set before the item arrives at our door. For this reason, it’s best to pick up your ILL items as soon as possible.
- Renewing: If you would like to renew an ILL, please contact Adult Services. We will have to contact the library system that we obtained it from to ask for a renewal. For some systems, we can get you an answer right away. Others can take a few days. Please ask for a renewal as soon as you know you need it.
If you have more questions, please contact Adult Services at 815-485-2605 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I request an interlibrary loan?
Requests by Phone or In Person
Our staff are happy to place requests and renew items in person or by phone. Please visit the library or call Adult Services at 815-485-2605.
Requests on Our Website
- Click on the My Account button in the upper right hand corner of this website.
- Enter your library card number located on the back of your card and your pin (last four numbers of your library card), and click Submit. This will take you to your account page.
- On bottom right hand corner, there is a list of links titled “Library Links.” Click on the ILL request form link.
- You should now be on the PrairieCat ILL Request Forms page. Select the type of material you are looking for from the Interlibrary Loan Order Forms table.
- Enter as much information as you have about the item. The more information you have, the better. However, don’t worry if you don’t have all the information requested on the form.
- Click Submit This Request at the bottom.
- If you would like additional items (no more than 15 at a time), please go back to the ILL form and submit your additional requests.
What happens now?
After Your Request is Submitted
If we can find the item you are looking for, we will place your request with that library. When we have placed the request, the title will show up in your account under ILL with the phrase “Awaiting Arrival.” This means that the item has been requested — not necessarily that it’s on its way. The library system can still deny our request. Be aware that we may not be able to get newer items, or you might have to wait longer for them. Please know that requested ILL material may take longer to get than a regular hold. If we can’t find the item, we will contact you.