Youth Services Library Assistant
Hours: 12–15 hours/week, including morning, evening and weekend hours.
This position interacts directly with the public as well as with library staff to provide friendly, high-quality customer service. As a member of the New Lenox Public Library team, our values of accountability, initiative, responsibility and teamwork are integral to daily success. This position will assist in providing lifelong education to all patrons, while primarily focusing on our youth population.
- Bachelor's degree from accredited institution or LTA certificate
- Enthusiastic to work with children and their caregivers
- Familiarity with both fiction and non-fiction literature for children
- Flexibility to work various hours including evenings and weekends
- Experience with reference work in a public library setting, including electronic resources and eReaders
- Strong desire to work as an effective team member in achieving efficient and effective library operations
- Willingness to learn new skills
- A good sense of humor
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the desire to provide excellent customer service
- Communicates effectively in person, on the telephone, and in writing
- Familiarity with privacy and copyright issues as they apply to libraries
- Comfortable using computers, library equipment, online catalog, and other emerging technology
Description of Duties
- Provides reference and readers advisory services specializing in youth literature
- Assists patrons with myriad requests including computers, technology, and other library equipment
- Plans and implements classes and events for children, including special events
- Collaborates with other departments
- Provides tours for schools, scouts and other groups as assigned
- Participates in outreach programming to area schools, preschools and other events as assigned
- Creates informative and dynamic displays
- Engages in continuing education
- Assists with collection development as assigned
- Implements all library policies and procedures
- Performs other duties as required
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently sit, stand, kneel, reach, and walk. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move equipment, etc., up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision and hearing abilities are required by this job. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by personnel assigned to this position.
Reports to: Youth Services Manager
Application Deadline: June 22, 2019
Please send resume, cover letter, and completed application to Alissa Raschke-Janchenko at email@example.com.