Adult Services Volunteer Coordinator
This is a full-time, non-exempt position in the Adult Services Department.
This position interacts directly with the public as well as with library staff to provide an excellent customer service experience. As a member of the New Lenox Public Library team, our values of accountability, initiative, responsibility and teamwork are integral to daily success. This position will assist in providing lifelong education to all patrons while primarily focusing on the adult and teen population.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited institution or LTA certificate
- Capability to interact with persons of all ages in a positive manner in order to provide excellent customer service
- Ability to work various hours including evenings and weekends with some flexibility
- Familiarity with both fiction and non-fiction literature for a teen and adult collection
- Desire to work as an effective team member
- Ability to provide research and computer assistance
- Possesses good interpersonal skills to communicate effectively electronically, in person, on the telephone and in writing
- Flexible and adaptable to new experiences, concepts and technology
- Access to transportation and ability to travel to local, state, regional and national meetings and conferences
- Knowledge of digital resources offered, such as OverDrive, Lynda.com and Novelist
- Public library experience working with adults and teens
- Familiarity with Illinois and Federal laws as they apply to public libraries including privacy and copyright
Description of Duties
- Recruit, train and manage volunteers to support library operations and special events in collaboration with other departments and community organizations
- Coordinate Inter-Library Loan Service
- Plan and implement classes and events for teens and adults
- Assist patrons of all ages with reader’s advisory, research assistance and technology help
- Select and order new library materials
- Work with library team to plan Summer Learning Challenge for teens and adults
- Assist with special large library events
- Participates on appropriate library committee(s)
- Attend workshops, meetings and seminars as required
- Attend outreach events as required
- Assist Digital Media Lab staff as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently sit, stand, kneel, reach, and walk. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move equipment, etc., up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision and hearing abilities are required by this job. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by personnel assigned to this position.
This position reports to the Adult Services Manager. Please send your cover letter, resumé and your copy of the Employment Application below to Adult Services Manager Tana Petrov at firstname.lastname@example.org.