New Lenox Public Library District is pleased to announce that we have been designated as an official Passport Acceptance Facility of the U.S. Department of State.
- We can only accept applications for NEW passports by appointment. Please contact the library to make an appointment before coming in.
- If you need to renew an adult passport, you do not need to come in to the Library. Instructions for renewals are at the bottom of this page.
New Passport Applications
To get started with your passport application, make sure you have all of your documents, copies, payments, and photograph. This printable checklist (available in English and Spanish) will help you keep track of the information you need.
- Passport Checklist: What do I need for a NEW Passport? (PDF)
- ¿Qué necesito para un nuevo pasaporte? (PDF)
What do I need to apply for a NEW passport for myself and/or my child?
Anyone who is applying for a first-time passport must apply in person using form DS-11. Please schedule an appointment with a library passport agent first, as we cannot take walk-in appointments. If you were under 16 when your passport was issued (a 5-year passport) you cannot renew.
- Applications: Applications may be filled out online at www.travel.state.gov and then printed single-sided. The Library also provides applications which must be filled out in black ink with no whiteout. Do not sign the application until asked to do so by an agent. See U.S. Passports: Apply in Person for more information.
- Applicants and relevant parties: The applicant must be present. Both parents and children must be present for all minor applications under the age of 16.
- Valid Photo Identification: Applicants and parents of applicants under age 16 must have a valid government-issued photo ID. See Passport Requirements: Photo Identification for additional information.
- Original Proof of Citizenship: Such as certified, original, long form birth certificates, naturalization papers, or a U.S. Passport for applicants over the age of 16. See Passport Requirements: Citizenship Evidence for more information.
- Current Passport Photo: The Library does not provide photo services; however, there are several places near the Library that provide the service, such as Walgreens and CVS. Please note: Eyeglasses must be removed for passport photos and photos must be taken in the last six months. See Passport Requirements: Passport Photos for more information.
Note: The U. S. State Department has strict photo guidelines and acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the U. S. passport agency.
There are two fees involved with getting your passport at the Library.
- $35.00 Passport Execution Fee (to New Lenox Library): The Library accepts cash, check or debit/credit card for the passport execution fee, which is $35.00 per passport application. Checks should be made out to New Lenox Public Library.
- Variable Passport Fee (to the U.S. Department of State): All payments made to the U.S. Department of State must be made by check or money order. For specific fee information, please contact the Library or visit Passport Fees at the U.S. Department of State website. The Department of State does NOT accept credit or debit cards.
For further information on the passport application process, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
If you would prefer to call the Library, we are happy to review the passport application requirements with you. Our phone number is 815-485-2605, and the extension for Adult Services is 123. We are also happy to assist you by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Passport Application Status
The U.S. Department of State estimates the following processing times for your passport application:
- Routine: 4 – 6 Weeks
- Expedited: 2 – 3 Weeks
The Library does not have access to information regarding the status of your application. Please contact the National Passport Information Center directly.
You can check your application status online or by phone. You will need the following information:
- Last Name
- Include suffixes (Jones III, Patton Jr, etc.)
- Include hyphens as appropriate (Jackson-Smith)
- Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Last Four Digits of Social Security Number
- Access the Online Passport Status System to check your application status.
- It takes 7-10 business days after you applied for your application to be trackable online.
- Receive automatic email updates on the status of your application by entering your email address after locating your pending application in the Online Passport Status System.
Check by Phone
Call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY) to speak to a Customer Service Representative (Se habla español):
- Monday–Friday (Excluding Federal Holidays) — 7:00 am to 9:00 pm Central Time
- Saturday — 9:00 am to 2:00 pm Central Time
Adult Passport Renewals
Adult Passport renewals are easy to do, and do not require a visit to an Acceptance Facility. To renew a 10-year adult passport, visit the U.S. Department of State’s Special Issuance Agency and download Form DS-82 along with the instructions. You can renew by mail if all of the following are true of your most recent U.S. Passport:
- It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older;
- Was issued within the last 15 years (not expired more than 5 years); and
- Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with a certified copy of your marriage certificate or government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.
Complete the application and mail the application, payment, and the passport to the address on the form. A trip to an acceptance facility is not necessary! The Library does not accept mail-in renewal applications. Adult renewals are done by the adult, and acceptance agencies do not accept these applications.
NOTE: This is a general overview and not all situations are covered. Please contact the Library or visit www.travel.state.gov for more detailed information about passports.