Community Help & Support

Call 211, Get Local Help2-1-1 is a nationwide service connecting millions of people to expert, caring help every year. To get help, search their website by ZIP code or city and state. The United Way of Will County now has a local 211 to call for help!

If you have a resource for this page, please send the information through our contact page. Thank you for your help making this a valuable and thorough local resource!

New Lenox Social Services

A full-time licensed social worker is employed by New Lenox Police Department to engage community members who may require services and are unsure how to access them. Visit Social Services on the Village of New Lenox website.

Job Seekers

For career information, please visit Job Seekers.

Mental Health

Help Lines & Counseling

  • Suicide Prevention Hotline (24/7; available nationally): If you or a loved one are experiencing a mental health crisis, call the 24-hour National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255). Caring staff will connect you with the closest possible crisis center in your area.
  • Illinois Call4Calm Text Line (24/7): If you or a loved one are struggling with stress related to the COVID-19 pandemic and need emotional support, text TALK to 552020 for English or HABLAR for Spanish (Message and Data Rates May Apply. See Terms and Conditions of Use). People seeking assistance remain anonymous and provide only their first name and ZIP code, which enables the service to link them to a counselor in the area who is knowledgeable about available local resources.
  • Crisis Text Line: Text HELLO to 741741 to connect with a crisis counselor. The Crisis Text Line serves anyone, in any type of crisis, 24 hours a day. Available nationally. Trained crisis counselors will respond and help you or visit their website at
  • The Crisis Line of Will & Grundy Counties refers people in need to local aid, provides 24/7 non-directive, non-judgmental telephone counseling, and offers friendly reassurance calls to elderly, disabled, and homebound people. Crisis Line is also accredited through the American Associaton of Suicidology for the intervention and prevention of suicide. Answering calls not only on their local hotline numbers, but also for the National Suicide Prevention Hotline.
  • Illinois Warm Line: If you or one of you family members has mental health and/or substance use challenges and would like to receive support by phone, call the Illinois Warm Line at 866-359-7953. Wellness support specialists are professionals who have experienced mental health and/or substance use recovery in their own lives. They are trained in recovery support, mentoring, and advocacy and are ready to listen and support you. The Illinois Warm Line is not a crisis hotline but is a source of support as you recover or help a family member to recover. Illinois Warm Line hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., except holidays.
  • Illinois CARES Line (24/7): If your child is a risk to themselves or others, having a mental health crisis, or if you would like a referral to services for children, youth, and families, call the 24-hour Crisis and Referral Entry Services (CARES) line to talk to a mental health professional. Call: 800-345-9049; TTY: 773-523-4504
  • Self Abuse Finally Ends (S.A.F.E): Addresses individuals coping with non-suicidal self-injury, including locally-based information, support and therapy referrals.

Communities of Color

  • Liberate meditation app: New York-based software engineer Julio Rivera launched the app in 2019 specifically for people of color. An Afro-Latino, Rivera could not find an online meditation resource designed for Black and Brown people, so he created his own.
  • Therapy in Color strives to create spaces for healing with the goal of making sure that Black, Indigenous, and people of color can access psychotherapy by culturally diverse professionals.
  • The Black Mental Health Alliance promotes and organizes educational forums, trainings, and referral services to support the Black community. Includes a database of Black psychiatrists, a questionnaire to match prospective patients with therapists, and other resources.
  • Black Therapists Rock aims to “reverse racial trauma through collective healing.” A book of the same name, authored by 15 Black mental health professionals, debuted in 2018. That effort has blossomed into a Facebook group, a therapist directory, and training events. Black Therapists Rock is a resource for the public and mental health professionals alike.
  • Therapy for Black GirlsAn online space dedicated to encouraging the mental wellness of Black women and girls.
  • Therapy for Black Men works to change the perception that therapy is a sign of weakness and make therapy easier to obtain for Black men and boys.
  • The Boris Lawrence Henson Foundation: Free virtual therapy campaign, scholarships, and additional resources focusing on the Black community
  • Black Mental Wellness Fact Sheets: PDF downloads on ADHD in children and adults, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, oppositional defiant disorder, PTSD, schizophrenia, traumatic brain injury, and eating disorders in the Black community.


  • LGBT National Help Center: Call the LGBT National ​Hotline at 888-843-4564. 
  • The Trevor ProjectReach a counselor by text, call, or chat.
  • Lambda Legal: Know Your Rights
  • The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender National Hotline: (888) 843-4564
  • The GLBT National Youth Talkline (youth serving youth through age 25): (800) 246-7743
  • Trans Lifeline: (877) 565-8860
  • The True Colors United: (212) 461-4401, The True Colors Fund is working to end homelessness among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning youth, creating a world in which all young people can be their true selves. True Colors United runs a database of service providers.
  • Pride Institute: (800) 547-7433 24/7, Chemical dependency/mental health referral and information hotline for the LGBTQ community.

Substance Abuse & Addictions

  • Will County Safe Passage Network: One of the major barriers to reducing opioid overdose deaths is access to treatment!  If you suffer from a substance use disorder Will County participating police departments can help you receive the appropriate treatment regardless of insurance status.
  • The Will County Executive Office of Substance Use Initiatives supports the prevention, harm reduction and recovery services for the citizens of Will County affected by the opioid epidemic.
  • Illinois Helpline for Opioids and Other Substances (24/7): If you or someone you know is suffering from an opioid use disorder or other substance use disorders, call the Illinois Helpline for Opioids and Other Substances at 833-2FINDHELP to speak with a trained professional for support and advice or to be directed to customized resources or visit
  • National Helpline | SAMHSA - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: Free and confidential treatment referral and information service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 800- 622-4357 (HELP)
  • We Know the Feeling (Problem Gambling): If you or someone you know is suffering from gambling disorder, call 800-GAMBLER, text ILGAMB TO 53342, or visit to be connected to resources and to treatment programs.
  • Pride Institute: (800) 547-7433 24/7, Chemical dependency/mental health referral and information hotline for the LGBTQ community.
  • Start Your RecoverySupport for overcoming substance misuse tailored to you. Hear stories that you can relate to, learn about problems with drugs and alcohol, and find support near you.

Homelessness & Runaways

  • National Runaway Safeline: This 24 hour, 7 days a week national Safeline is for youth at risk of running away or already have and are looking for help. 800-Runaway (800-786-2929) or text 66008.
  • National Call Center for Homeless VeteransVeterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness—and their family members, friends and supporters—can make the call to or chat online with the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans, where trained counselors are ready to talk confidentially 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Dial 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838).

Veterans, Their Families & Friends

  • Veteran's Crisis Line: Call to reach caring, qualified responders within the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs; many of them are veterans themselves. This free support is confidential, available 24/7, and serves all veterans, service members, National Guard and Reserve, and their families and friends. Call 800-273-8255 or text 838255, support for deaf and hard of hearing: 800-799-4889. Online chat is available at
  • National Call Center for Homeless VeteransVeterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness—and their family members, friends and supporters—can make the call to or chat online with the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans, where trained counselors are ready to talk confidentially 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Dial 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838).

General Health

Violence Prevention & Crisis Intervention

Help Lines & Counseling

  • Between Friends: Counseling & legal assistance for victims of domestic violence
  • Illinois Domestic Violence Hotline
    877-TO END DV or 877-863-6338 (Voice), 877-863-6339 (TTY)
    For the Illinois Department of Human Services Service Provider Partner Abuse Intervention Program (PAIP), visit here IDHS: Partner Abuse Intervention Program (PAIP)
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
    800-799-SAFE (7233), 800-787-3224 (TDD), 800-787-3224 (TTY)
    Chat for deaf or hard of hearing individuals 855-812-1001, video for deaf callers (
    Español available plus another 200+ languages
  • Illinois Rape Crisis Center: Find your local center at
  • National Sexual Assault Hotline 800-656-HOPE (4673), English chat, Español chat
  • Confidential Chicago Rape Crisis Hotline (Run by YWCA Metropolitan Chicago; RAINN local affiliate)
    708-748-5672 in the South Suburbs
    888-293-2080 in Metropolitan Chicago, DuPage and Cook counties
    630-971-3927 in DuPage County
  • Rape Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN): (800) 656-HOPE / (800) 810-7440 (TTY), The nation's largest organization fighting sexual violence, RAINN also carries out programs to prevent sexual violence, help victims and ensure that rapists are brought to justice.

Reporting Abuse

  • Safe2Help Illinois: Reporting of child abuse or abuse of an older adult or adult with a disability. Safe2Help Illinois is a 24/7 program where Illinois students can use a free app, text/phone, website (, and other social media platforms to report school safety issues. Once vetted, the tips will be shared with local school officials, mental health professionals, and/or local law enforcement, depending on the nature of the tip. The program also will help local officials by connecting them with mental health or other appropriate resources to intervene and to help students before they harm themselves or others.
  • Illinois Department of Children and Family Services Child Abuse Reporting Hotline
    800-25-ABUSE or 800-252-2873; 800-358-5117 (TTY)
    Hours: 24/7/365
    Languages: English, Español; other languages not specified
  • Adult Protective Services: Case workers from the Adult Protective Services Provider Agencies conduct investigations and work with adults age 60 or older and adults age 18-59 with disabilities in resolving the abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation situation.
  • Self-Neglect Brochure (PDF)The APS Program accepts reports of Self-Neglect to help eligible adults who are unable or refuse to perform essential self-care for themselves. Many vulnerable adults live in our communities. They could be your friend, neighbor, family member or even yourself.
  • Illinois Department of Aging
    Hours: 24/7/365
    Languages: English; other languages not specified
    To report suspected abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation of an adult age 60 or older or a person with disabilities age 18-59, call the statewide, 24-hour Adult Protective Services Hotline at 866-800-1409, 888-206-1327 (TTY). For residents who live in nursing facilities, call the Illinois Department of Public Health's Nursing Home Complaint Hotline at 800-252-4343. For residents who live in supportive living facilities (SLFs), call the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services' SLF Complaint Hotline at 800-226-0768.
    Senior HelpLine Email:
  • Veterans Crisis Line: Confidential assistance for Veterans, Service members and their families and friends in times of crisis

Food Security

Getting Around

Trains & Buses

Walking & Biking

Driving & Motor Vehicles

  • Free DMV Practice Tests includes 11 car practice tests, 9 motorcycle practice tests, 12 CDL (commercial driver’s license) practice tests, 3 online driver’s manuals (car, motorcycle, CDL), and a FAQ section with detailed answers to over 100 DMV-related questions. Continually updated.

Housing, Utilities & Internet Access

Housing Help

Internet Access

Caregiving & Youth Needs

Childcare & Family Support

Child Safety

  • Kids in Danger highlights important safety tips and recalls for parents.


  • FOREVERU is a teen-focused 501(c)(3) non-profit started by a Lincoln-Way student. FOREVERU is dedicated to helping teenagers write the next chapter of their life story through personal growth experiences.

Clothing & Household Needs

Citizenship & Immigration