February 1936, Volunteer Library
The New Lenox Public Library began as a volunteer project run by members of the New Lenox Woman’s Club. Its first home was a small room in Haven School and housed 385 books.
1946, Township Library
A referendum was passed and the tax-supported New Lenox Township Library was created.
1975, Our Own Building
The Library had four other locations before it moved into its own building on Cedar Road in 1975. An addition was completed in 1986, increasing the library’s size to 11,500 square feet.
1987, Public Library District
The library remained a part of the township government until 1987 when it became New Lenox Public Library District, an independent unit of local government.
2001, New Lenox Commons
Our current building in the New Lenox Commons was constructed and opened on December 10, 2001 to support the expanding population. It is approximately 58,000 square feet and has seating for almost 200 people.
Today, the library houses more than 130,000 books, over 180 magazines, nearly 5,000 DVDs, 4,000 music CDs, access to digital books and magazines for all ages, and much more. The District’s collection has grown to over 150,000 items and the services have expanded to include free wi-fi, mobile printing, technology assistance, and a Digital Media Lab.
The library currently provides services to the approximately 600 people that visit the building each day. In addition, the library offers hundreds of programs each year that are attended by over 10,000 residents.