Are your classes going online? We're here to help you get started.
A few of our staff members have experience with educational and video communication platforms such as edX, Coursera, Blackboard, Canvas, ClassDojo, Zoom, Skype, Google Docs, and many other online platforms. If you'd like to share a favorite resource, please email Ashley Middleton at email@example.com.
Our Online Resources such as Lynda/LinkedIn Learning, Mango, Creativebug and CultureGrams are also available to you. If you have trouble accessing them, please call the library at 815-485-2605.
Software resources and guidelines
- Visit Amazing Educational Resources for a variety of free resources (formerly the Education Companies Offering Free Subscriptions due to School Closings Google doc)
- View the Google doc Guidelines to running Online Instruction
- ClassDojo is a free learning management system used by many local teachers. It has a simple, friendly user interface.
Social Media Groups
- Facebook: Educator Temporary School Closure for Online Learning
- Facebook: Amazing Educational Resources
Online courses about teaching online
Lynda / LinkedIn Learning
New Lenox Library card holders can access this resource for free! If you teach in New Lenox but live elsewhere, ask your school administrators about getting an educator card. In Joliet? Your library has Lynda/LinkedIn Learning, too! If you're visiting this page from outside of our area, please get in touch with your local library.
Access thousands of online video courses and exercise files that will help you learn software, creative, and business skills from the best in the business. Use your library card number and PIN (last four digits) to register, and always access your free Library Edition from this link. You can access this service from anywhere. Changed your PIN but don't remember it? Call Patron Services (formerly Circulation) at the Library at 815-485-2605 ext. 300.
- All Education and E-Learning Training and Tutorials
- Course: Learning to Teach Online
- Course: Learning Management System (LMS) Quick Start
- Course: Teaching Techniques: Creating Multimedia Learning
- Course: Google Apps Essential Training for Educators
- Course: Teaching with Technology
- Tips: Weekly Teacher Tech Tips
- Learning Path: Become an Online Instructor
- Learning Path: Become an Instructional Designer
All courses are immediately available.
Current teachers moving online may want to check out Instructional Design: Digital Media, New Tools and Technology that began February 26.
The University of Maryland has a MicroMasters degree in Instructional Design & Technology. Individual courses in this program can be taken for free if verification of attendance is not required and the full degree is not desired.
edX courses rotate and may not be immediately available.
Coursera courses rotate and may not be immediately available. Courses offered by various institutions include:
- Foundations of Virtual Instruction, University of California–Irvine
- Emerging Trends & Technologies in the Virtual K-12 Classroom, University of California–Irvine
- Basics of Inclusive Design for Online Education, University of Colorado–Boulder
- Learning Technologies Foundations and Applications, University of Illinois
- Powerful Tools for Teaching and Learning: Web 2.0 Tools, University of Houston
Degree and certificate programs include:
Suggested books in our catalog
- The Accidental Instructional Designer
- Communication & Collaboration in the Online Classroom: Examples & Applications
- Connecting with Students Online: Strategies for Remote Teaching & Learning
- Course Design Formula: How to Teach Anything to Anyone Online
- Faculty Guide for Moving Teaching & Learning to the Web
- A Guide to Online Course Design
- Introduction to Google Classroom
- Introduction to Teaching with Zoom
- Learning That Sticks: A Brain-based Model for K-12 Instructional Design & Delivery
- Online Teaching at Its Best: Merging Instructional Design With Teaching and Learning Research
- Strategies for Student Success
- Students Taking Charge: Inside the Learner-active, Technology-infused Classroom
- Teaching in the Online Classroom: Surviving & Thriving in the New Normal