This free program encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before they enter school. One of the best ways to encourage learning is to spend time sharing books every day. Reading together helps develop pre-reading skills that provide a good foundation for school and learning success.
By reading just three stories a day, you and your child will have read over 1,000 books in one year!
How do I start?
- Register. Register at the Library, by calling Youth Services at 815-485-2605 ext. 500, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get bookmarks. Pick up bookmarks at the library, or download the bookmarks (PDF) and print it out at home.
- Read together!
- Fill in the circles on your bookmarks. If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time. Books read to your child at Library programs, at daycare, or by others also count.
How do I check in?
- When you finish 200 books, bring your log to the Library and check in, or email email@example.com.
- Check in at every 200 books to get a new log. At 200, 400, 600, 800, and 1,000 books, your child will receive a prize.
- Once 1,000 books are read, your child will receive an official certificate of completion.
If you need any reading suggestions, let us know! Visit us at the Youth Services desks downstairs to talk about New Lenox’s favorite books for littles. We’re always happy to help.