All PrairieCat public libraries will switch to the new Vega catalog on Thursday, November 30. New Lenox Library is starting our move to Vega now.
New Lenox Library belongs to a group of libraries called PrairieCat. We all share a catalog and can borrow each other’s items. We are excited to share that our catalog is getting a new look and some new features!
The new catalog is called Vega, and it’s currently in development. We’re ready to publicly release a test version of the catalog, and we’d love for you to try it out! A word of warning: this is a test, so it’s still in development. You won’t be able to pay fees through Vega yet. PrairieCat is also still integrating ebooks into the list. We’re not switching away from the current catalog, Encore, until Vega is ready.
- Simplify Your Search: The new catalog rolls up formats and editions into one search result. Physical books, large print books, and audiobooks are all displayed in one result together.
- Series Lists: When searching for a title that is part of a series, the new catalog shows more titles in the series! Just select the title to see the series list.
- Read-a-Likes: Once you select a title, scroll down for recommendations, related topics, and reader reviews.
- Browse by Reading Level: After selecting a juvenile book title, scroll down to view the reading level. Select "Browse by Reading Level" to search by Lexile measure, Accelerated Reader, or age/grade range.
- My Bookshelf: Log in to view reading history, create and share custom lists, save searches, manage holds, and manage your account.
Vega Catalog Quick Tips
- Log in first, using your library card number.
- Your PIN number is the last 4 digits of your library barcode unless you have changed it.
- PrairieCat will search all libraries unless you choose a specific library location.
- If you are at a public computer in a library, don’t forget to log out before you leave the computer.
Searching in Vega
Enter search terms such as a book title, an author, or a particular subject. The Search Results page displays items that match your search terms. After your original search, the search button (magnifying glass icon) moves to the top right of the screen.
You must log in to access all the features that the catalog offers. When you log in and perform a search, the Search Results page and the Resource page list availability at your home library first. The catalog lists availability at other locations after the home location.
Refine the Results (Narrow Your Results)
- Select filters from the Refine Results panel such as Format, Age Group, Language, Locations, etc.
- After selecting a filter, select Apply.
- Select Reset Filters to clear the filters.
- Select the lock icon to retain those filters in your next search.
Find the Item
Once you find the item you would like, select the Library Location to view the Call Number.
Save the Search
On the Search Results Page, select Save Search. You can save up to 100 searches. Saved searches remain in your account until you delete them.
Explore the Search
If you select a title or an author, the catalog displays information about the resource and related items, contributors, and topics that you can also explore.
Placing holds in Vega
If your library does not own a title or it is not currently available, you have the ability to place a hold on the title and receive it from another library.
- Log in to your account. Your default PIN number is the last four digits of your library card number.
- Search for the title and select the format you want from the rollup tab.
- Select the Place Hold button.
- Confirm pickup location. The pickup location will automatically default to your library; however, you may choose a different pickup location.
- A Request Successful message will appear when the hold is placed.
- You will be contacted when your item is ready for pickup.
Renewing items in Vega
Items may be renewed as long as your account is in good standing, there are no holds on the material, or you haven’t already exceeded the renewal limit. Check with library staff for specific renewal periods.
In the catalog
- Log in to your account.
- Select My Bookshelf, then the Checkouts tab.
- Select the Renew button next to the item you want to renew.
- You will receive a message on the screen telling you if the renewal is successful or not.
Call the Library at 815-485-2605 during open hours, and we’ll be happy to renew your items for you if possible. You can also use PrairieCat’s Phone Renewal System by calling 1-888-542-7259. To use this System, you will need your library barcode number and the library barcode of the item you want to renew.
My Bookshelf in Vega
Log in to view your account information, saved lists, checkouts, holds, fines, and fees. You can save search queries to My Bookshelf for later use. You can create and edit lists to organize your Bookmarked items. And, you can opt in to view and save your reading history.
View the items currently checked out and their due dates.
View the items you have on hold and if they are available for pickup. You can also cancel holds or freeze holds.
Fines & Fees
View any money owed and make payments online. This is not
currently active as of March 1, 2023.
View your account information such as address,
expiration date, etc.
Reading History in Vega
The Library doesn’t automatically track all of the items you’ve ever checked out; you need to opt-in to do so.
Do you save your reading history in the Encore catalog? Correction as of March 28: If you opted in to Reading History in Encore, it has been transferred to your Vega account!
About Reading History
- Reading history retains information on the titles you have checked out and returned.
- You may sort by checkout date, title, or author.
- Reading History does not include eMaterials.
- You cannot remove individual items from your Reading History.
To opt in to Reading History
- Log in with your library card number and PIN.
- Select My Bookshelf from the footer menu bar and then select Profile.
- Select Keep Reading History.
- To opt out of Reading History
- Select My Bookshelf, then Profile.
- Uncheck Keep Reading History.
WARNING: Opting out will delete all record of your checkouts. Once deleted, this cannot be restored.